JUPITER (ANXUR) TEMPLE
It is a Roman Temple built on a massive substructure form the 1st century B.C. on Sant’Angelo Mountain situated in the city of Terracina in the province of Latina. Sant’Angelo Mountain, also known as Giove Moountain (for the Romans Mons Neptunius, 227m above sea level) is the last strech of the Ausoni Mountain chain which here reaches out to the Tyrrhenian sea for the first and only time enclosing the south Pontine plain.
After the Roman age, the Sanctuary was destroyed by a fire and its ruins, during the Middle Ages, were known as Teodorico Palace.
In the High Middle Ages, in the area known as “Little Temple”, a Benedictine Monastry found its settlement dedicating it to Saint Michael Archangel from which the mountain takes its name. An underground corridor was transformed into a church and here it is possible to admire frescos from the 9th century.
The area was completely abandoned in the 16th century due to the depopulation of Terracina.
The first archeological works began in 1894 under the supervision of Pio Caponi to which followed further excavation works, two years later, led by Luigi Borsari.
Terracina Sanctuary fits in with the biggest Republican Sanctuaries of Latium region, built between the 2nd and 1st century B.C. in scenographic and dominant positions, on great terraced substructures.
Giuded tours of variuos length of time are organised to visit Jupiter Temple with a well prepared guide. Every evening, during the summertime, the lights show “Anxur Illumia”, takes place with lighting effects showing what the temple and life in the Sanctuary was like.